Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Where I am From Poem

I am from an old country road where I feel safe, from nights sitting on the front porch listening to the crickets and looking up at the stars.
I am from a home that was built by my father’s own hands.
I am from the hayfields, shale banks, and flowing fields of grain that I use to escape to.
I am from Jennifer and Billy Morgan who taught me values and how to really love. I am from the Shafer’s and the Morgan’s.

I am from a place where the bond between brother and I will never be broken.
I am from a place where Sundays are set aside for church and family dinners around a long, crowded table.
From a place where farming is not just a hobby, it’s a way of life and a way to survive.
I am from a loving Christian home where church was never missed and we gathered around the piano to sing hymns.
I am from a small community where most of my family resides, where I can smell my Mimi Joan’s bread pudding and taste my Mimi Bonnie’s sweet tea.
From the Cherokee tribe that I get my features from.
I am from a place where I learned hard work and respect will get you far in life.
I am from a place where love found me.
I am from a place where God, family, and friends are all that matter.
I am from the beautiful hills of West Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment